Fireplace Safety: Fireplace and Chimney Safety Tips

Every winter, homeowners bring their fireplaces out of hibernation and start using them again. As the snow begins to fall outside, it’s important to remember that your fireplace is more than just a place for you and your family to enjoy an evening in front of the crackling flames. It’s also quite possibly one of the most dangerous parts of your home! In order to keep everyone safe (including yourself!) read through these tips on how to stay safe while experiencing those cozy winter nights in front of your fireplace.

This blog post will provide homeowners with some helpful safety tips when they’re enjoying time around their fireplaces this winter season.

Home Fire Safety Checklist

Before you start a fire in your fireplace, it’s important to perform a few safety checks first. The list below will help make sure that the area around your fireplace is safe for use:

1)  Clean out your flue (the opening that allows smoke to leave your home). Before you start a fire, you want to make sure that your flue is free of any blockages and is clear.  

2)  Inspect the fireplace for any cracks or other damage.

3)  Be sure that your chimney has an operable damper and a tight-fitting flue cap.

4)  Make sure that you have emergency tools, such as fire extinguishers, fire sprinklers, and a working smoke alarm  installed.

5)  Make sure the fireplace is dry: If there has been any water damage or flooding in the home, allow the fireplace to completely dry out before starting a fire.

6)  Ensure that you have a fire screen or  grate cover  in place.

7) Keep flammable materials away: Do not leave any wood, furniture, paper goods, clothes, or other combustibles within three feet of the fireplace opening.  

8)  Make sure that you have a solid, non-flammable  stone or brick  hearth  surface  under your fireplace.

9) Keep the hearth free of items: Only leave items that absolutely need to be close by, such as your reading glasses or a book you’re currently reading.

10) If it’s safe to do so,  have a  separate  smoke  alarm  installed  outside your fireplace.  

While using your fireplace is an enjoyable activity that keeps you and your family warm and cozy, there are many safety hazards surrounding the use of fireplaces that homeowners should be aware of.

Importance of Fire Extinguishers

When it comes to keeping your family and home safe, installing a smoke detector is the most important thing to do. However, there are many instances where a smoke alarm won’t be able to detect the fire that’s slowly growing. This is why having an extinguisher on hand is also very important , and you should make sure that  you  have  it  handy  for  when  that  time  comes.

Why You Need an Extinguisher: Fires can be very difficult to put out once they’ve started, which is why it’s so important for homeowners to have extinguishers installed around their home. If you have a fire extinguisher on hand, then it will make putting out the fire significantly easier. Fire extinguishers are designed for homeowners and even small children can learn how to use them!

How to Use a Fire Extinguisher

1) First, determine if there  is  a CLASS A, B, or C Fire.

CLASS A:   Ordinary combustibles such as wood and paper burning in a fireplace or woodstove.

CLASS B: Flammable liquids fueled by gas or kerosene such as paints thinner and vehicle fuels  that are  burning  in  a  typical home.

CLASS C: Electrical fires (including arcing and short circuits).

2) Once you’ve determined the class of fire that you’re dealing with,  give the fire an initial blast of water immediately  while

3)  Make sure that everyone is out of the house and then call emergency services for help. If you aren’t able to put out the fire initially, then get everyone out of your home as quickly as possible! It’s best to have a safe distance between your  home and the fire. Once you’re safely away from the area, then call emergency services to assist in putting out  the  fire.  

Recurring Fires: If you’ve had a recurring problem with fires in your fireplace, it’s important to call an expert. Recurring problems may be caused by several  issues that can be corrected with the help of a professional.

How to deal with Smoke damage from fire?

So what do you do if your home has been exposed to fires and smoke? First, make sure that everyone is safe. Once the fire department has come and gone, it’s time to start dealing with the damage they left behind. If there was extensive damage, then call in a professional service  to help  clean up the mess and get rid of the smoke smell.

Smoke odor can be extremely difficult to remove from your home, so it’s important that you get started dealing with it as soon as possible.  How to Get Rid of Smoke Smell in your Home

Step 1: Remove any burnt items. Obviously, this step is easier said than done when the fire was caused by an electrical fire! But if it’s possible for you to remove all the burnt items from your home, then do so immediately  

Step 2: Get rid of the smoke smell in your home by opening all windows and doors to allow fresh air into the room. Once that’s done, you’ll want to start cleaning up with baking soda. Baking soda is one easy way to remove any lingering smells.

Step 3:  Get  rid  of  the  smoke odor by  using liquid oxygen bleach. If you can, get rid of the smoke odor in your home by using a vaporizer to add the oxygen bleach. Using it alone will help remove any lingering smells that you may have in your home.

Step 4: Keep everything as dry as possible. Once you’ve finished cleaning up any burnt items from your home, you’ll want to start drying out the structure of your home.

Step 5: Air out your home. Once everything has dried and the smoke smell is gone, you’ll want to start airing out your home. Open all of the doors and windows for at least 24 hours so that the air can circulate properly throughout your home. This will ensure that the smoke smell is finally gone for good! If you’re not sure how to deal with a fire or if you’ve been exposed to fire, then call an expert. They’ll be able to help you determine if your home was affected by one and they’ll also be able to walk you through putting out  a fire.

Don’t forget to change the air filters in any of your HVAC systems.

If you have a fireplace, then it’s important that you clean out all ashes and keep them in an outside area. The last thing that you want is for a  fire to start in your home. If you must use your fireplace, then before you do so make sure that the chimney has been cleaned and checked out by a professional!

If your home or business was damaged by fire damage, smoke damage or water damage, please give A1 Water Damage Restoration a call.

A1 Water Damage Restoration

720-296-6122

Get A Free Quote
720-296-6122 24-Hour Emergency Hotline